The capital of the Island of Mallorca and considered one of the most beautiful cities in the world be it for the sun, the beach, the mountains, marinas or its architecture, gastronomy or culture. Being situated in the Mediterranean with easy access by sea or air, it invites its visitors to a cosmopolitan and historical adventure. There are a variety of museums, buildings, churches, restaurants and shops scattered over the old part as well as the newer built part of the city, never forgetting the amazing Cathedral overlooking the bay of Palma. Certainly a place worth visiting.
The name Playa de Palma came about when the Society Mar de Mallorca, who had the service contract for the area decided to unify Cala Estancia, Can Pastilla and El Arenal in one name: Playa de Palma (Bay of Palma) The coastline is of fine white sand and measures about 4,600 meters in length with all services and boast the blue flag of beach “wellness”. Once of the closest beaches to Palma is Can Pere Antoni at just 2kms from the centre of Palma.
There is proof that the building started in 1229 and in 1300 the actual cathedral began to take shape during the reign of king Jaume II . The building began in the Gothic style continuing into Baroque . In 1902 the Bishop, so as to keep up to date with progress decided to ask Gaudí to reform the central chapel among others. The contemporary style was introduced by the artist Miquel Barceló who re-designed the the Santísimo Chapel in 2007. It is the cathedral with the largest gothic rosette stained glass window in the world measuring approx.. 13.8m2 x 100m2. The Cathedral is known as La Seu and in 1931 it became a Monument of Historical/Artistic value.
Bellver Castle as it`s name indicates (beautiful view) is built in the circular Gothic style. It was built at the start of the XIV century by order of king Jaime II. To begin with it was to be a residence inhabited by royalty and their court, but eventually it was used as a prison and as a refuge during war times. Until the XX century, with the republic, the castle was handed over to Palma Town Hall. The castle is built on a hill of about 112 meters above sea level and the main fortified section was bu8lt by the architect Pere Salvá. In 1974 a museum was created with the history of the city of Palma and it is used today for a variety of different events and concerts.
In the year 123 a.c there is proof of the beginning of construction of the palace on top of Roman ruins. Later, in the X century and under Arab rule, the Almudaina (meaning in Arabic walled in city) was built. It was transformed into a Christian palace with Gothic style. Today it is used as a museum and by the King of Spain for ceremonies and receptions.
© 2020 · All rights reserved to www.immocalador.com Finca D'Or S.L